Frequently Asked Questions
Thanks for stopping by the LFIKitchens website! This page is dedicated to answering some refacing FAQs — including some of the many questions we get asked about cabinet refacing, the process, how it works, and much more. Just select your question from the list below to find the answer and if you still have questions, feel free to Contact Us today!
How Does Cabinet Refacing Work?
Every Let’s Face It project is completely tailored to meet your specific aesthetic and budget considerations. All work is performed by a staff employee/craftsman. As a LFI customer, you may choose from the following refacing/restoration options:
Premium wood custom cabinet refacing:
- Choose any hardwood species in any color or finish of choice. You may customize your project with far more choices than standard or stock kitchens allow.
- Each project is measured by an experienced certified engineer to ensure proper fit and finish.
- Your new cabinet doors and drawer faces are uniquely crafted right here in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- All existing old doors and drawer faces are removed.
- If contracted, any new cabinetry or cabinet interior options such as rollouts are installed.
- All exposed cabinet surfaces are prepared and then covered with real premium pre-finished matching wood veneers and rigid wood end panels. Only the finest real hardwoods are used, just like most high quality furniture companies use when building furniture.
- New premium wood doors and drawer faces are then installed with new self-closing fully concealed hinges. Our premium lifetime hinges will never come apart!
- New wood crown and trim moldings are installed along with decorative hardware.
- Your new kitchen is inspected for our high quality standards by a LFI manager. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed!
Other methods of refacing and restoration include:
- Thermofoil refacing: For those who are more budget concious. Instead of using premium, real hardwood doors and drawers, components are made of a thermally fused membrane material over a substrate. The membrane is a moisture resistant vinyl, in almost any color or wood pattern, that is heat shrunk to the wood material underneath. The process of refacing/restoration is the same as our premium wood refacing, except the thermofoil doors, drawer heads, and face frame materials are used in place of the wood.
- New doors and drawer faces: Many customers wish to simply have new doors and drawers made to match the existing cabinet framework. You may also want to have a professional painter paint the exposed cabinet surfaces prior to the installation of any new doors and drawers.
What is the cost of refacing and how much will I save?
The costs are based on the type of refacing/restoration you choose along with any other services that you elect. Typically an average premium wood kitchen can be refaced/restored for under $10K with other refacing/restoration options costing far less.
Can I add new cabinets or cabinet interior options?
Yes…Let’s Face It has a full wood shop that can make additional cabinets that can be integrated into your current kitchen. You may want to add islands or build out a new refrigerator garage for a low profile refrigerator. You can also add many cabinet interior options such as wood roll out drawers, pull out trash and recycling bins, or drawer organizers just to name a few. Essentially, we can install any cabinet interior options that are available in a completely new kitchen.
What are some of the advantages of refacing/restoration?
- Saving money – Cabinet refacing/restoration will allow you to maintain any existing components to your project. Many customers have made some significant improvements by installing granite or premium flooring at some point. These upgrades will not be compromised during the refacing/restoration process. Typically a premium refaced kitchen will save 60% over the cost of a comparable completely new kitchen!
- Less time – An average restoration will typically be completed within one week. An average completely new replacement kitchen usually takes upwards of four weeks.
- Less mess – Because we are not removing your existing cabinets or using spray finishes in your home, there is very little mess! At the end of all work days, your kitchen is HEPA (special EPA approved filter) vacuumed and wiped down so it is clean and safe.
- Convenience – Typically you can use components of your refaced/restored kitchen at the end of every work day.
- Going “Green” – Cabinet refacing/restoration is considered to be a “green” alternative to a full replacement. Our doors are made from renewable local lumber and materials. Save your sturdy wood cabinets instead of a complete replacement that takes more resources away from our earth.
Will I sacrifice design or quality?
As a Let’s Face It customer, you will have the ability to work with in-house certified design professionals who will offer you the experience and service to get you the kitchen of your dreams. With Let’s Face It, you will have as many choices as you would if you contracted a custom cabinet maker to hand-build your new kitchen. Choose from cherry, maple, walnut, alder, white oak, etc. with thousands of finishes to get you the traditional, contemporary, transitional, French country, or whatever design aesthetic you prefer. All of our wood doors and drawer fronts are made by Pennsylvania Dutch cabinet craftsmen. All materials are custom sized and specifically measured to overlay the existing face frame of your kitchen.
What’s the difference between cabinet refacing and cabinet refinishing?
Read our blog post entitled Cabinet Refacing vs. Cabinet Refinishing.